Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Do I need a high powered SS when a GC might do?
Do I need a high powered SS when a GC might do? [message #10293] Wed, 09 February 2005 14:02 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
One of my goals with this hobby is to eventually move into a three-way active crossover multiamp system. It's a long term goal and will develop as time and money is available.

The next step I want to take is to build an amp for the woofer. It's a JBL 2235H and will be used up to 500Hz. I don't know where I got the idea from, but I seem to think that I need a high power SS amp for this purpose. I've been looking into kits from Seal, Marchand, ESP, ampslab, etc.

BUT... in my current set up, a 10W tube amp is enought to drive the entire speaker in higher than acceptable levels.

SO... am I completely off base with my search for a high power MOSFET amp when technically, a 5W amp would be more than sufficient in this setup?

I can build another gainclone with boutique parts for less than a quarter of the cost of this SS kits. Would I be missing anything if I just opted for a gainclone instead of an SS amp?

Love to hear some feedback from those who have lived with both a gainclone and a good quality SS amp.

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Cayin 265Ai 40 wpc class A integrated
Next Topic: Sonic Impact Technologies Class T Amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 20:19:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio