Home » Audio » Speaker » Kind of crazy idea for a flanking sub processor
Kind of crazy idea for a flanking sub processor [message #75716] Tue, 05 March 2013 20:20 Go to previous message
andy_c
Esquire
I'll be starting a new project in a couple of months or so, involving two new subwoofer enclosures. The only place I have room for them is close to and a bit behind the two main speakers, on the outside of each one. They'll be sealed sonosubs, with one down-firing and one up-firing driver in each enclosure. There will be a barrier inside each enclosure separating it into two separate sealed compartments, with a separate amplifier channel and filter EQ for each one: two stereo Crown pro amps for the four drivers and either a miniDSP or DCX2496 for EQ and crossover duty.

This sounds an awful lot like flanking subs to me, and I've been intrigued by Wayne's ideas in this area. My mains show a dip of around 10 dB at about 125 Hz, and I'd like to tame that by running the subs to a high enough frequency so they'll smooth that out. But it kind of bugged me that they'd be stereo, even though I realize that's necessary if you run them up that high in frequency.

So I started wondering if it might be possible to design a circuit that took left and right line-level inputs, and produced left and right line-level outputs that are for all practical purposes mono at low frequencies (so the subs act like distributed subs down there) and stereo at frequencies much above 100 Hz or so (so they act like flanking subs up there).

I came up with a circuit that looks like it will work, and wrote an article about it on my web site.

I'd be interested in hearing any input about this idea. Go easy on me Wayne! Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: V-Moda M-80 Headphones Sweepstakes
Next Topic: High End Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:38:11 CDT 2024