Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Hi and a Few Questions (Hi and a few questions)
Re: Hi and a Few Questions [message #76819 is a reply to message #76342] Tue, 21 May 2013 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Michaelzh is currently offline  Michaelzh
Chancellor
I finally put together the mid horn and mounted the 290C horn. I used drivers mentioned in my first post.

I would recommend any one without good woodworking skills to buy the mid horn flat pack from Wayne as the mid horn, while very simple from the look, is very hard to make right. The ones I made even though usable are far from being geometrically perfect.

The corner horns I built 10 years ago was a result of Wayne's inspiration. I used his corner conical horn formula and corner horn idea. It provides the same function as the current 7 PI corner horn in this set up.

Right now the crossover is without R4 and R5. I will have to spend more time to get to know the sound before I make changes that Wayne suggested in order to be able to compare later. I'll have to find my sound level meter to do some measurement.

Anyway, here is my first impression: the sound is much sweeter than I expected from such "large" speakers; It can be quite delicate, has a great depth and large background; great ease with tiny and big sound; shows well the personality and skill of the performers of the music. I have some uneasy feeling in regard to tonal balance. It could be due to the crossover without R4 and R5 or it could be just me being used to fullrange single driver speakers which tend to emphasize the upper mid and highs.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1170&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1171&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1172&private=0
  • Attachment: IMG_0255.JPG
    (Size: 915.82KB, Downloaded 4822 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_0259.JPG
    (Size: 966.71KB, Downloaded 4898 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_0258.JPG
    (Size: 1.03MB, Downloaded 4946 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message