Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » flanking subs with small mains
Re: flanking subs with small mains [message #75735 is a reply to message #75734] Wed, 06 March 2013 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A long time ago, back when I had black light posters all over my walls, I used to run my oscilloscope with its two channels connected to the right and left channels of my stereo. I'd setup to make Lissajous patterns like a little laser light show. One thing I noticed was nearly all music had low frequency content the same in both channels. Of course, there were a few exceptions but they were rare.

So ever since then, I've made a working assumption that the deep LF content of most music material is summed in the mix. That was on my mind when I first recommended the flanking subs approach. While there is the possibility that LF content could be localized in one speaker or the other, in practice it is rare.

That's why I've always suggested that the flanking subs would be part of the multisub approach when distributed subs were run using a summed channel. I am make the assumption that most times, the LF content is summed anyway.

I think it is probably a little more of a concern in movie soundtracks but I'm not entirely sure those would have LF content panned hard to one channel either. It's an unnatural situation, one that doesn't happen in "real life". So I would hope (expect) the sound editors to put deep bass content in all channels in the mix.

Just my 2¢. Well, not quite 2¢ worth there, but maybe a penny.

But hey, while we're on the subject, let's link in Andy's thread here too:
I kinda think you guys are on to something there. Even though I don't expect much material with deep bass panned hard to one channel, your sound mixer / processor idea ensures it is distributed properly. I think that's a great idea.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message