Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Downfiring flanking subs ??
Re: Downfiring flanking subs ?? [message #93219 is a reply to message #75491] Fri, 26 February 2021 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ooheadsoo is currently offline  ooheadsoo
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but this seems to be most relevant to my question.

I have left and right speakers that are approximately 18" wide. I have them toed in at 45 degrees with the inside rear corner touching the front wall. Even though I have these speakers as close to the wall as I can already, presumably due to the width of the speaker, I am still getting some SBIR in the upper bass. Besides SBIR, another reason I need the speakers as close to the wall as possible is active/curious toddlers. Since I am in need of speaker stands, I intend to buy/build subwoofers as use as stands. My intent is to have them front slot port loaded and facing the front wall, as close as is reasonable. Due to the port and possibly cables running between the subwoofer and the baseboard, I assume the gap between the wall and the subwoofer will be about 3" at minimum.

I was curious to read that you were not necessarily in favor of a placement this close, and was wondering if you could elaborate some more for a layman. In my thinking, I would move the main speakers as far forward as I could to the front edge of the subwoofer (perhaps rear inside corner 6-8" away from the front wall) to lower its interference range as much as I can, and the closer I could get the subwoofer to the wall without too much interference with the port's airflow, the higher the sub's front wall interference range would be, and the mismatching interference ranges would smooth each other out.

Apologies for the crude diagram.

-----front wall-----
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| <-- sub and port facing wall, 3-4" gap
|xxxxxxxxxxx/OOO\xx|
|xxxxxxxx/OOOOOOO\x|
|xxxxx/OOOOOOOOOO/x|
|xx/OOOOOOOOOO/xxxx| <-- speaker placed as far forward as possible
|OOOOOOOOOO/xxxxxxx|
|\OOOOOO/xxxxxxxxxx|
|xxO/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx| <-- about 28" from front wall

Read Message
Read Message