Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Surround voicing and matching the mains
Re: Surround voicing and matching the mains [message #75426 is a reply to message #75422] Sat, 02 February 2013 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with Steve on all points. The Delta 10 is a great midrange but doesn't dig deep enough for use as a midwoofer. Even when running subs, you still want mains that will at least provide some bass, and the Delta's just can't do it. They're midrange speakers, not midwoofers.

Beyond that, I personally prefer speakers with wide dispersion for surrounds, so 90° waveguides are out. Love 'em for mains, obviously, but for surrounds, I want a much wider pattern.

What's great about using the little one π or two π speakers as surrounds is they are a spectral match with our larger waveguide speakers. Each of our loudspeakers provides basically flat power response, which means the sound radiated in all directions is flat, not just the sound radiated straight ahead, on-axis. The difference is our waveguide speakers radiate a 90° pattern whereas the one π and two π speakers radiate a 180° pattern. This is really perfect for surounds.
In fact, I point my surrounds at the wall and them diffuse energy all over the place. It's exactly the opposite approach I use for the mains, but it makes just the right ambience for surrounds, in my opinion. Make the sidewall angle of reflection direct the sound towards the listening area, and it makes very natural sounding surround ambience.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Information about the 3 Pi Subwoofer
Next Topic: Ground Plane Measurement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:49:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects