Home » Audio » Speaker » Tuning below Fs with JBL 2226H?
Re: Tuning below Fs with JBL 2226H? [message #75305 is a reply to message #75301] Mon, 21 January 2013 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The JBL 2226H is one of my all-time favorite midwoofers. And it is capable of producing subwoofer output too, but it is not optimized for that purpose. Most of the things that make it great - its motor structure with shorting rings, it's highly damped cone, it's efficiency - all work best above 50Hz.

So while you can make a good subwoofer using JBL 2226H drivers, I would prefer to use JBL 2235 or JBL 2245 woofers instead. They are tuned for subwoofer use. Another option is the LAB12, which allows me to build a very competent subwoofer in a 4ft3 box, which is much smaller than what is required for the JBL subs. The LAB12 sub is not as efficient though, naturally, because size is king where subs are concerned. According to Hoffman's Iron Law, the only way to get efficiency and deep bass extension is to use a large box.

Still, since the most important thing for good quality bass is to use several distributed subs placed around the room, I find it pretty important to have subs of reasonable size. I think some people would think even 4ft3 is large, and so for them, 8ft3 to 10ft3 cabinets are out of the question, especially in multiples. But for me, 4ft3 subwoofers aren't too large. I run a pair of them flanking the mains, and another pair behind the seating area, and this gives incredibly smooth bass response throughout the room.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message