Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Something new on the bench
Re: Something new on the bench [message #85626 is a reply to message #85624] Thu, 13 July 2017 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Folks, Thanks for the kind words. In a way it is a shame that the middle sized amps don't get more interest. The KT77/EL34/KT88 amps are quite the same in sound and have lots of punch. The nice thing about them is that you can roll all sorts of tubes. Anything in either size range can be used. The parts to build them is significantly lower as well. The difference between 28-30 watts rms and 40-42 is not going to be heard. With the smaller tubes it is 15-18 watts rms. Still plenty for most uses. The KT120 mono blocks can also use KT88/KT90 and similar tubes as well. With the present possibility of lots of bum KT120s and KT150 running around I personally would either wait for it to sort out or go for the mid size amps.

BTW I was running my system just yesterday with the mini mono blocks which are really 1/2 each of the newest Poddwatt. I have always loved the sound of EL84s and these amps don't disappoint. They are just sufficient to drive my Martin Logan ESLs to a comfortable level...I would not use them for loud rock as they don't have that level of power.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message