Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Flanking Subs vs Helper Woofers
Re: Flanking Subs vs Helper Woofers [message #75462 is a reply to message #75414] Thu, 07 February 2013 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
andy_c
Esquire

andy_c wrote on Fri, 01 February 2013 14:12
Edit: It may also be that I'm overestimating the complexity of the BassQ, as there hasn't been much information disclosed about it by Harman.

Just to update this, I found some detailed information about the BassQ in the BassQ thread on AVS Forum. Roger Dressler posted a PDF of the patent application for it. I've attached it below, because I think one needs to be logged in at AVS in order to download it. It turns out that BassQ uses FIR filters and the matrix inversion process described in Welti's paper but not pursued further in that paper.

Also, after watching Earl's video for the umpteenth time, I heard him say that he uses six parametric EQs per sub, which seemed like a lot to me. So I asked Earl about that, and he says he uses up to six parametric EQs per sub, but can usually get by with one or two.

So given the typical implementation of Earl's approach with just one or two parametric EQs per sub, it seems that his approach is very close to what Harman is doing with SFM (which always uses one parametric EQ per sub), while the BassQ is rather different from SFM and Geddes in its use of FIR filters and matrix inversion.

It seems a bit strange to me that JBL introduced the BassQ in 2008, after Welti published AES articles that de-emphasized the approach used by BassQ. It's an interesting history.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Notes on Ironing Veneer, Using Watco and ... a distress signal?
Next Topic: 4Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 08:05:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout