Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi revisited first impression
icon6.gif  Re: 4 Pi revisited first impression [message #74672 is a reply to message #74654] Fri, 30 November 2012 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Arthur C is currently offline  Arthur C
Chancellor
Firstly I would like to thanks Wayne very much for his response, his clarifications and all his work and the dissemination of its work.

Concerning the C4 capacitor as Wayne mentioned I maintain the 10 micro F capacitor instead of a 20 micro as I had calculated.

Concerning the RCH H100 horn. Following Wayne's precisions and explanations, I am going to plan a change and thus, substitute the RCF H100 with the recommended H290C. The RCF H100 works very well and gives me all satisfaction. But, and in order to reach directly a top quality result, its seams to me more successful to adopt Waynes configuration directly rather that to continue to try top optimize Wayne crossover to the RCF H100. I have read to much threads on forum in which was reported the great difficulty to perfectly fine tune the crossover of a compression driver and its horns (ie : there is now nearly for 3/4 decades that some DIY are fine tuning the compression driver and the horns of their Altec A 7 VOT). For the 3 and 4 Pi's spekers. Waynes has kindly done the job with a great success.

For those that may be interested, I wanted to give some explanation concerning my choice of the 15' woofer.

Choice of the 15' woofer. The tricky point is that the 15' shall be able to reproduce accurately mids. As Waynes mentioned the 15' JBL 2226 H is really the top of 15' pro driver. Unfortunately and especially for the DIYers out of US, these driver is very expensive.
That's the reason why Wayne has proposed a substitute the Eminence Omega Pro 15 A.
One my side I have chosen the Eminence Kappa 15A for 3 reasons. (i) Datas are quite close to the Omega's one, (ii) I have been able to hear this woofer in a DIY configuration, (iii) and I have been able to purchase it new for a ridiculous price (around 75 USD/ speaker). This woofer is very well made with a large magnet and sounds really good.
I have been advised by Mr. Samuel Corde from B. Corde, very well known retailer in France and appreciated in the DIY French world, that the Beyma SM 115N is very good. He uses this speaker and the SM 115K in its pro speakers which works very very well for pro application.

Concerning the pictures. The battery of my camera was out of order yesterday. I will upload them this evening or on Saturday.

I will keep you posted.

Arthur.

Razz Razz

Read Message icon12.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon6.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Spectral decay time of HF drivers
Next Topic: Back EMF; Good or bad thing?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 11:44:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio