Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel
2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel [message #74391] Wed, 07 November 2012 14:13 Go to previous message
willis66 is currently offline  willis66
Esquire
Here is my first build, a pair of 2Pi speakers. I love the sound, but plan on rebuilding them as towers and focusing on a bit more pleasing woodworking. I have good skills in woodworking, but not so much in electronics and crossovers, etc. I have read most everything on this board, but still am not sure how to proceed in adding a center channel.

index.php?t=getfile&id=912&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=913&private=0

I need some help with center speaker idea that I read about on this forum by boblaz, over 10 years ago in this thread. http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=38376&&srch=1pi+build#msg_38376
He mentions using a modified 1 Pi with good results, would the 1 Pi work with the 2 Pi's in my room. My thinking is a double 1 pi with a single tweeter in the center. Is this a stupid idea.

My other thought is an additional 2 Pi speaker, but since our screen is so large it would come to just about the bottom of the screen. The benefit of an additional 2 Pi, is the cabinet is already made.

My current set-up has the two subwoofers wired with a y connector off of the subwoofer channel. I have tried to wire has flanking but not sure I did it correctly. Do I just run two set's of wire from the left/right channel to each subwoofer and 2 Pi? My receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-01-TXH.

The main uses for the room is movies and some TV, and some music listening if we are playing pool in the other half of the room.

To summarize, I love the 2 Pi's and now need a center that can keep up.

1. I plan on building 2 Pi towers, so can I please have plans for towers Wayne?
2. Would a modified 1 Pi center be to disrespectful to Wayne's hard work? Would it sound good? Surely a lot better than what I have now, that most people think is great. If so I will order a kit for a single 1 Pi and will of course need plans.
3. What is best way to wire flanking subs from one home theater receiver?
4. Does the 4 Pi idea of phantom center channels apply at all to the 2 Pi's?
  • Attachment: Theater 1.jpg
    (Size: 1.30MB, Downloaded 7431 times)
  • Attachment: Theater 2.jpg
    (Size: 632.30KB, Downloaded 7781 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message