Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Compression Drivers
Re: Compression Drivers [message #74152 is a reply to message #74151] Wed, 17 October 2012 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, heavens, don't apologize. There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing new products and alternate sources here. We've shifted suppliers before, and I'm always interested in hearing about new technologies and new devices. For example, the DE250 is a fairly new part for me, I was using the JBL 2426 for years before trying out the DE250. So don't worry that I would want to discourage you or anyone else from discussing new or alternate parts here in this forum.

It's just that I find it really wrong to copy devices. That's just my personal opinion, so I jumped up on a soap box for a minute.

There has been a long legal debate on reverse-engineerng, even before overseas outsourcing was commonplace. There is legal precedence that reverse-engineering is acceptable as long as no intellectual property rights are violated. That doesn't necessarily have to be a patent violation - If a company obtains blueprints or source code or other engineering documentation, they can be in violation of copyright. But as long as none of that has happened, it is legally acceptable to reverse-engineer a product in most cases.

I still find product copying to be an ugly practice, and especially in a company that has no engineering staff, and just sends a product overseas to have it copied. Is it illegal? No, I don't think so. But will I support it? No, I will not. It's a personal choice.

Read Message
Read Message icon13.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message