Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi speakers - various questions
3Pi speakers - various questions [message #73874] Wed, 19 September 2012 23:05 Go to previous message
audiothings
Chancellor
This is for a studio I am helping a friend build. An ambitious project for both of us. The layout is as you see below. The monitors are floor standing, mounted flush with the wall. The wall is angled 30 degrees towards the engineer, and all surfaces other than the front wall and the floor are very heavily damped.

index.php?t=getfile&id=881&private=0

I already have a pair of Exodus Audio Tempest X2-15" subwoofers. According to the manufacturer they will work very well in an 8 cu. ft. sealed box. I want sealed boxes all around not only because I am a rank amateur at this and sealed boxes are more foolproof, but also because (I imagine) that the better transient response actually makes a difference to my work.

The Delta12LFA has a Qts of .47, and as I understand, it is suitable for a sealed box. I have come up with two options, and I would like your help in deciding between the two. Both options have the same woofer-tweeter distance as the 3Pi specs. I have indicated speaker-listener distance (5' 2") and ear level (3' 10"), and I would like you to consider these, while helping me choose. Option 1 has one large sealed box and is preferable to me for ease of building and handling, and option 2 has two smaller boxes.

index.php?t=getfile&id=882&private=0

Other thing - I would like to use them with a pair of Behringer iNuke Nu3000DSPs, one on each side, to power and manage the system. I plan to buy Wayne's crossovers to crossover between the woofer and CD, and the DSP on the amp to crossover between the sub and the 3Pi. I must have some control over the equalization, because I think that loading the speaker in the wall might require some bass management - I am thinking that I might have to accentuate the first octave (20-40 Hz) of the subwoofer and roll off some lows from the 3Pi, for better efficiency, if nothing else. I have read about running the mains full range and accentuating the first couple of octaves with subs - but in this case, I'd like to roll with this approach as it gives me options and a bit of control. This amp puts out 440 watts @ 8 ohms and 880 watts @ 4 ohms. Would 440 watts be sufficient to drive the 3Pi to 110 db?

Thank you for your inputs. And l must make it clear that there is no commercial interest in this - I really am building it for a friend Smile

• Attachment: piex.jpg
    (Size: 115.44KB, Downloaded 4640 times)
  • Attachment: 2piopts.jpg
    (Size: 53.37KB, Downloaded 4576 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message