Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Repair JBL 2226H cone?
Re: Repair JBL 2226H cone [message #73677 is a reply to message #73676] Sun, 26 August 2012 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Silas is currently offline  Silas
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 25 August 2012 23:09

Some third-party replacement cones are obvious, others are pretty good copies. The only real way to know if you have a genuine JBL recone is to buy it yourself, or through a shop you trust.

If you want to try and examine what you already have, there are several things to look for. One is the basic color and texture of the cone. All JBL cones have irregular "bumps" in the paper pulp on the backside. Lots of recone kits are smooth, which is a tell-tale sign it's a third-party cone.

The shade of grey is pretty consistent, although a genuine cone in the sunlight is lighter. They also tend to have a discoloration near the surround that most aftermarket cones don't have. None of that really helps, I expect, because you'd have to compare with a known good cone side-by-side to notice this anyway.

Truly the best way to know is to measure the speaker, as all genuine JBL cones measure very consistently like the published response chart. An aftermarket cone probably won't match, and some are way off. If they weren't, we wouldn't care so much.

Gotcha. I figured the coloration might be of interest, but doesn't the color change over time depending on the conditions it's been in? I was also looking and each cone on my three drivers says 71649 in a white stamp, which is the model number of the JBL cone. Do you think aftermarkets would be allowed to/bold enough to falsify a serial number stamp? If not, I'd say these are genuine.

Another update, I've resolved the issue with the seller and everything is hunky-dory. Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How much duratex to cover three 4Pi's?
Next Topic: 3 Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 02:46:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout