Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » First Post, 2 Pi, Ear Discomfort
First Post, 2 Pi, Ear Discomfort [message #73165] Thu, 28 June 2012 15:09 Go to previous message
j0nnyfive is currently offline  j0nnyfive
Baron
Hey everybody! I believe this is my first post here. I just bought the 2 Pi kit for my projection home theater in my small apartment. Love em! They sound very theatery! (I make up words.)

I was just curious about an issue to see if anyone else has experienced this... I've emailed Wayne about this and he agreed with my first idea that it may be listeners fatigue. I tried playing the speaker with dynamic compression turned on and the volume low, and that seemed to help.

Now, I'm not so sure. I didn't go into too much detail with Wayne about this, but I will try to be more specific here. My problem is that I'm experiencing a discomfort in my ears, and it seems like slight loss of high frequency hearing. It's almost a sickening feeling. You know that loss of hearing you get after walking out of a loud theater? It's not that. It really feels different than a temporary threshold shift from loudness in general. It's almost like I've been listening to a very very high pitched sound, so high I can barely perceive it, but like it's been slicing my ear drums.

I have NOT been playing the speakers loud at all. At first I thought that maybe I had been, but I realized that I still had to turn the movie up to hear some of the dialogue in some scenes. If I had to do that... there's no way it could have been "loud." No, because I have a pair of Ascend CMT-340se and I can play those louder without this sensation.

Anyway, is anyone familiar with this? Could there be some super high frequency distortion or interference somewhere? Can a careless build of a speaker cause the drivers to "squeek" at a super high pitch? Room reflections? (It's a small room.) Could large drivers in a small room somehow... "push in?" on the ear drums?

I'm at a loss and I'm feeling kind down. I love these speakers, but they hate me. lol

What would you suggest I do? Is there a good meter and software tool to test for these sorts of things? I really wanna get this taken care of.

Thanks in advance!

Setup: Denon 1712 receiver -> thick cable -> speakers.
Small room.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: auralex wedges in place of R13
Next Topic: 1Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 04:04:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects