Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » My Thoughts on Being a Transformer Vendor
Re: My Thoughts on Being a Transformer Vendor [message #9884 is a reply to message #9883] Tue, 02 January 2007 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Peter Parkmiller is currently offline  Peter Parkmiller
Esquire
If you want to make some audio output transformers, Peerless aren't the ones to copy. The best designs from a cost-benefit ratio are the old Fisher and HH Scott units. The non-unity-coupled McIntosh MA230 wound by Endicott and Chicago Transformer is also a can't miss choice.

I think the unity coupled Mcintosh designs would be easier to wind than most people think, far easier than a Peerless or UTC or Freed top quality unit. But I don't think there's a market for them for two reasons, old Macs don't sound all that great, and most hobbyists are not experienced and persistent enough to make a Mc design work from scratch.

Any of two dozen wiring mistakes give you a power oscillator that will tear itself up unless carefully brought up on a current limited nench supply. Hobbyists today have no test equipment and little discipline to do things in an orderly fashion.

There's no question that DIY tube audio took off when the SET craze was brought to the US. The seminal article was Alan Douglas' "Tubes in Japan". Though Douglas correctly pointed out the deficiencies, the knowledge that thousands of people in supposedly sophisticated Japan were doing something was enough to light the fuse on this craze here.

Steve Sailer is one writer who has gone some way in exploring the reasons why Japan is the fad capital of the world, but that's another matter entirely.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Resistor Recommendations for DIY Power Amp
Next Topic: The Ausio Asylum is done
Goto Forum: