Home » Audio » Group Build » IR Remote Control
Re: IR Remote Control [message #74524 is a reply to message #74512] Tue, 20 November 2012 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

These prototypes were sort of a step back in time for me. I used to always make prototypes like this, and that all-red wiring was my signature build style. I've done prototypes that were 50 times more complex, no kidding. One processor/controller I did filled a board twice that size. So this is nothing, four chips and that's it. Just nothing. Kinda wanted to do it that way, just for sentimental sake.

These days, I'd definitely do a small PCB run for protos. Back in the day, it was too expensive to do that. I'd only go to fiberglass once I was doing a run of several hundred at least. But these days, they'll practically give you a short run on the hopes you'll do a long run.

I still have relationships with some of those shops, because I still get boards. I buy lots of crossover boards, for example. I sometimes get the pretty silkscreened boards with plate-through holes, solder mask and silkscreening. Other times, a simple single-sided board without a mask or silkscreen is fine. The crossover boards are the latter.

So but anyway, my IR-remote protos are a labor of love, probably a last hoorah for me on the point-to-point perfboard build style. Just had to do it, one last time.

And, yeah, like Shane said, Uriah had boards made. I did the processor chips for others to develop boards and systems for. I didn't want to go in the amplifier business, 'cause then I'd sort of be in competition with the guys I made the chips for. So this is just a firmware deal, and I'll provide the chips, allowing others to provide the rest.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message