Home » Audio » Group Build » IR Remote Control
Re: IR Remote Control [message #73705 is a reply to message #73151] Thu, 30 August 2012 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've been meaning to post for months now (literally). But I have been completely swamped with orders. My son is soldering all the boards he can, as am I, and we're still running about 4-6 weeks behind filling orders for loudspeakers and kits. So I've just plain-old had no time for hobby projects.

But I decided at the beginning of the summer to build four prototypes, one of the "red" (six-channel) processor and three of the "blue" (two-channel) processors. I'll keep one of the blues and the red, but I'll probably sell the other two blues. I'm putting them in nice Metcase enclosures, which are being punched and etched right now.

index.php?t=getfile&id=844&private=0

The photo above (click to enlarge) shows the prototype perf boards and one of the enclosures. I have only wired up the power supplies, and not the processor or RDAC. I chose a double-regulated supply, which is way overkill, but chips are cheap these days, so I figured it couldn't hurt. I'm using a 12VAC center-tapped transformer, which connects to the three wires you see hanging off the proto boards. This is rectified, then passed to a 7805/7905 to give +/-5VDC, and this is sent to a LM337/LM317 to give +/-2.5VDC. Overkill, but quiet.

I probably should have waited for Uriah to finish his printed circuit boards, because it would have made it easier to build than point-to-point wiring on a perf board. I think he has them in stock now. But I've built plenty of prototypes this way, over the years.

As an aside, I like working with Metcase and Pac-tec enclosures because the front and rear panels are just removable flat panels that are easy to punch, engrave or silkscreen. They're great for prototypes and small production runs, and cost effective even when doing a few thousand units. I've made thousands of "black boxes" like this, mostly communications and control devices.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message