Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Looking At NOS EL 34's...!
Re: SED/Wing-C [message #9816 is a reply to message #9815] Thu, 14 September 2006 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You're right about tube prices, and obviously not just the ones we've mentioned. This hobby could get real 'pensive over the next few years. Vintage tubes - just forget about them. Everytime I go to an auction/flea market/yard sale, I look for old radios - just for the tubes. I just recently picked up a couple of console radios from the 50s for $10; both have 6V6 PP amps. One has a couple of TungSol 12AX7s, which are easily worth more than what I paid.

If you can bias each tube in your amp, I'd just get a single Wing/C and be done with it. Thanks for mentioning the failure. I purchased a matched quad about a year ago for my Cayin. I'll have to keep an eye one them.

Guinevere is in need of serious repair. I was never very happy with the copper chassis. I used copper that was too thin and it's pretty microphonic. I can tap the top plate and hear the ringing. Also, the last time it was running I lost a ground somewhere and heard nothing but 120Hz buzzing.

About 6 months ago I picked up a deHavilland Verve and a Yamamoto A-08S. It's a very nice combination, so I'm not real pushed to fix Guinevere any time soon.....

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message