Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » H290C Horn/Waveguide (Upgrade for the obsolete Eminence H290)
Re: H290C Horn/Waveguide [message #73809 is a reply to message #73777] Thu, 13 September 2012 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad your new waveguides sound good to you.

Interestingly, your impressions are the same as mine. I've measured the H290C and I've listened to it, and my listening impression seems subjectively more of an improvement than the measurements show. The H290C waveguide just really sounds natural to me.

Other people have said the same thing too. There's been enough time now for people to install their new waveguides and listen to them. The feedback I'm getting is very positive. I'm hearing a lot of similar opinions, using phrases like "smoother", "less distorted", "more natural" and "cleaner sounding".

The measurements are good, but the old H290 measured surprisingly good too, better than most waveguides out there. So by response measurements, you might not expect much difference between the Eminence H290 and the new Pi H290C, maybe not even enough to hear. While the H290C's oblate spheroidal / elliptic cylinder flare profile is the best shape, in my opinion, other profiles can be nearly as good provided they are close enough. But the H290C is better sounding, probably because it stays true to the OS/EC flare profile. Comparison of measurements don't really show this improvement as much as one might expect.

Of course, the measurements I'm talking about are just response and polar measurements, and they will only show very strong internal reflections in the form of response spikes. Smaller reflections won't show up in a response chart, and it may be that this is the difference. It would make sense, given the OSEC waveguide/horn generates the least (HOM) high-order modes. So I think the difference, while subtle, is audible.

I'm also pleased to hear your comparison of the Pi H290C with the QSC waveguide. I've received emails from a few others that compared it with the JBL and SEOS waveguides as well. I'm getting unanimous feedback that the H290C sounds better. This, again, I attribute to the pure OSEC flare. Other manufacturers deviate from it for one reason or another.

The new H290C waveguide just sounds better. I thought maybe it was just a proud papa thing, but since I'm getting feedback that the H290C sounds "smoother", "less distorted", "more natural" and "cleaner sounding" than the old Eminence H290 and other waveguides, I'm starting to think it isn't just me. Many people are reporting back positive results like this.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message