Home » Audio » Source » CDs on BluRay and DVD players (Can you recommend a good CD player?)
CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71249] Tue, 07 February 2012 02:54 Go to previous message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
I'll try to keep this short. I have a 5 year old Sony BR player that I have been using to play CDs. The problem I have with that is that the TV insists on turning on when the DVD player is on. That runs a 300 watt lamp to show tracks. If I turn off the BR it turns off the TV, and if I turn off the TV, it turns off the BR. Very aggravating.

It's been a long time since I had a dedicated CD player, so I connected a 10 year old Yamaha DVD player to the CD input on my Pioneer Receiver. That bypasses the TV on problem.

However, I noticed that the old Yamaha DVD (red laser) player sounds noticeably different from the BR player when playing CDs.
A lot of the harshness from the BR player disappears, the bass increases, and the overall effect is more desirable.

I can't decide which is more accurate because I have no frame of reference. So, it seems people do use discrete CD players and they don't seem to cost that much. Can you give me some good but middle range price CD players to try?

I'm not paying McIntosh $5K for a cd player, but I don't know what to pick from. I know I don't want anything Sony. The BR is a Sony BDP-s500 which is about 5 years old, and the Yamaha is about ten years old (and is a standard DVD player).

Short of a "good" CD player recommendation, I'm shooting in the dark. My Pioneer Rec has optial and cable digital inputs (as do the Yamaha outputs. I guess I'm asking for something that is not to hot and not too cold, but just right. Really just looking for a player that a lot of people like. I certainly don't need to be using up a 300 watt projector bulb for hours to display the track that is playing.

I can't find anyway to stop the interaction between the TV and the BR. If I turn off the TV, it turns the BR off. If I turn on the BR, it turns the TV on. I can't find an option to stop this, except pulling the HDMI out of the BR player which is using a separate cable to the Pioneer Rec for sound.

Now, I'm not sure that it is a good idea to use a HD player for CDs at all.

Whatever you can recommend would be appreciated.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message