Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3pi in 4pi cabinet?
Re: 3pi in 4pi cabinet? [message #71235 is a reply to message #71234] Sun, 05 February 2012 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They're very close in size:

three π: 30"x20"x14"
four π: 26"x18"x14"

Only four inches difference in height and two inches difference in width. Such a small difference, are you sure you can't "fit" the "larger" speakers in your room? I mean, they really seem to be the same size. If you stand them side-by-side, you can tell the difference but if you set a pair on stands, then replace them with the other pair, it will feel like there is absolutely no difference in size.

I would guess you could put the three π guts in a four π size cabinet and retune the port. Said another way, you could probably put the three π components in a 26"x18"x14" box tuned to 30Hz and it would be pretty much the same as the standard box, with maybe a smidge less bass extension. But the key thing here is "maybe". It hasn't been tested.

Why throw away all the hours of design/test and optimization work just to shave a couple inches off the box? It might work, but it might put a port in a standing wave pressure node and adversely affect the response. So honestly, I would suggest that you stick with the stock design. If you have a compelling enough reason to modify the design that you are willing to perform tests to verify the changes, then by all means, give it a go. But I wouldn't suggest doing it blindly.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 7 Pi Plans
Next Topic: 4Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 11:32:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects