Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 15" woofer
Re: 15" woofer [message #71049 is a reply to message #71032] Fri, 20 January 2012 02:58 Go to previous message
Arthur C is currently offline  Arthur C
Chancellor
Dear Wayne,

Many thanks for your e-mail, the attached link and clarifications.

I perfectly understand that the key point for the 4Pi 15" woofer is the quality of its midrange and its integration with the compression driver due to the crossover point. I am not very familiar with cross over, but in accordance to me the cross over frequency between the woofer and the CD should be around 1.400 HZ at -5db. Thus, I have understood that few 15" such integration.

Yesterday evening, I have tried a temporary solution. I have an old Sansui SP 3500 with a 14 " woofer (old 4 ways / 6 speakers of the 70'). I have firstly removed all the speakers and kept only the 14" woofer. (Of course, I haven't found any T&S parameters concerning the woofer ... ). Then, I have plugged the 4 pi cross over and the B&C DE 250 Compression driver.

I was very impressed by the quality of the CD and its dynamic and neutrality. The second impression is that the Sansui 14" is quite good. The only think is that the enclosure seems too small and strangles its capabilities to reproduce the low frequencies. The second think is its ability to reproduce midrange frequencies, let's says after 1000 Hz.

Wayne you are perfectly right when you say quality of the midrange is very important for the 15" driver. The second noticeable point is that the CD have to be closed to the 15" is order to have a coherent sound.

Many thanks for all your work and explanations.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Good News about my Three Pi Speaker Kit
Next Topic: I re-decorated: Before and After
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 20:10:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio