Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » JBL 2226H question: is this right?
JBL 2226H question: is this right? [message #70602] Fri, 23 December 2011 14:50 Go to previous message
haanjamin is currently offline  haanjamin
Esquire
I bought all the components for the 4 Pi speakers and am in the middle of constructing the cabinets. I just received used 2226H from an Ebay auction stating they were tested and in great condition. I hooked them up to my subwoofer amp to check the operation in free air.

Giving it around 20 watts with music, when the bass hits it sounds like serious port chuffing or bottoming out when the cone seems to be moving like 3mm. I then put it in the cabinet (with the horn and tweeter also installed) and got the same thing. Using REW signal generator, I get a lot of distortion from 40-80 hz with only like 50 watts. At the higher frequencies, it takes less power to make the distortion start than the lower frequencies. Both of the woofers do the same thing. I haven't installed the insulation yet but I don't think that should make that huge of a difference.

So I look up a speaker repair place and take them over to get tested. He took the woofers to back in the shop and said he gave them a couple hundred watts and they are fine.

This is my first time dealing with pro audio woofers but things just don't seem right to me. I haven't received the crossover yet so I haven't heard what the whole speaker will sound like yet.

Can anyone offer insight into this or offer a different test I should do?

Sorry for the rambling but I would appreciate it if someone could help me.
Thanks in advance

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon3.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: The Alpha 10: less filling...sounds great!
Next Topic: mid horn box size?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:12:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout