Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 300B Power Supply Help
Re: 300B Power Supply Help [message #9503 is a reply to message #9497] Sun, 22 January 2006 19:40 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Just wondering why power supplies on seperate chassis? I've tried this before and sorting out ground loops, finding appropriate connectors for the Ht, and the bulk of the extra chassis all made it seem less that worthwhile. I'd also ask why the Angela 91? I have made it (along with a dozen or more other 300B designs) and it always seemed less dynamic and a bit wooly to me. Have you tried other designs? While you didn't ask, I'll tell you what I've landed on as one of the best SE designs I've ever found... use a WE 417a, loaded with a 10k, 12w mills run about 10ma of current and 150v on the plate. Cap couple that to the 300b and presto! Fantastic amp!! Even better, do this with 2A3's, and/or replace the 10k with a good CCS and direct couple it. Power supply? I use cap input, one choke, a couple hundred uf's (10uf + 10H + 200uf) and you're good to go. I'll tell you, adding additional chokes and caps has been, in my experience (and verified with scope and loads of experiments), a waste of time and money. Anyway, just my 0.02 worth. YMMV..

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Latest AudioExpress about amp with 6DZ7 output tube?
Next Topic: Restored Citation II
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 16:12:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout