Home » Audio » Home Theater » Ruined system horror stories
Re: Ruined system horror stories [message #70858 is a reply to message #70798] Fri, 06 January 2012 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
gofar99 wrote on Wed, 04 January 2012 10:19
Hi All, not my personal experience, but way back there was a funny story in a magazine, Stereophile I believe. The tester had a problem with his cats doing exactly what they do best, use speakers as scratching posts. He also tried to keep them out of his listening room. One day one of the cats got in without him knowing. He was in the process of setting up a test and had accidentally connected an FM tuner to a live input on the preamp (that went to powered up amps and eventually to the speaker). As luck would have it the tuner was not on a channel and only inter-station hiss was there. All this took place when the cat was about to paw the grill cloth on the test speaker. Luck also would have it that the level of sound (hiss) produced was about 100 watts. At the instant of paw contact, the speaker exploded with sound. The cat clearly thought that there was a huge mean cat inside the speaker and ran for cover. The cat never went after a speaker again. Very Happy

Hahahahaha! Now I know how to save my speaker grilles! The trickiest part would be lying in wait for the cat; she tends to do it at night when I'm in bed.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Receiver
Next Topic: Are you a high definition "snob"?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 30 06:33:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio