Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Speaker placement and wavefront launch (A visual representation on how walls affect the wavefront)
Re: Speaker placement and wavefront launch [message #69794 is a reply to message #69790] Wed, 12 October 2011 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Most of the dipole and planar folks I know tout the side-cancelling nature as helping reduce side wall reflections. This is true, since they have what is effectively about 120° radiation, and there is very little radiating straight out to the sides.

The problem is this doesn't actually help much on the side walls because there is still plenty of energy at wide horizontal angles. And of course, you have the whole rear wave to deal with. That's why I think they sound best when pulled far away from walls.

One place I find planars to sound really great is when they're up close, set just ahead of me, and angled in towards me. They have great imaging that way. But that arrangement sort of kills the room, making it unsuitable for anything else. Push the speakers back into a position where there is still usable living space in the room and the sound is terrible. They're like a beautiful girl that's way too tempermental to actually live with.

One of these days, you'll have to check out some constant directivity cornerhorns. If you have the right corners, they are all pluses, no downsides. They just plain do everything right.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message