Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Been learnin' about crossovers
Been learnin' about crossovers [message #69347] Mon, 05 September 2011 17:34 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Still in search of a way to improve the imaging of the Utahs, I came across this fairly easy paper by Rane that deifies the Linkwitz-Riley:
http://www.rane.com/note160.html

Further reading led me that way as well: http://faculty.spokanefalls.edu/InetShare/AutoWebs/pamelam/crossover%20filters%20amundson.pdf

The cascaded Butterworths appear to my Freshman eyes to make sense and there's no doubt the conventional 24dB slope will help protect the tweeter crossed at just twice it's Fs. My Googling also turned up the Marchand site and his well-known SS and tube crossovers that emply only the L-R crossover in a choice of 24 or 48dB cut.

I even have a better understanding of why Wayne uses a 3rd Order Butterworth on the Pi horns so even if the Utahs still suck (!), at least I learned a little something about lobes and phase angles, etc.

That Marchand X-9 looks kinda tempting at $599 when you see all the caps it's gonna take to build my 24dB passive. Here's a mock-up on a piece of notebook paper that pretty nearly emptied my parts box!

index.php?t=getfile&id=591&private=0

I had to order a .33mH coil, the one value I was missing so I drew a circle that reads .33 inside if you can see it LOL

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Discussion on waveguides / horns
Next Topic: Wayne......Ive heard 6 Pi's
Goto Forum: