Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New HT - Need Advice on Speakers - 4pis or 7pis for main, 2pis, and what to use for bass
Re: New HT - Need Advice on Speakers - 4pis or 7pis for main, 2pis, and what to use for bass [message #69321 is a reply to message #69318] Sat, 03 September 2011 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Answers by numbers:

1. The seven π cornerhorn is a constant directivity cornerhorn. The four π speaker is a matched-directivity two-way loudspeaker. The difference is that a constant directivity cornerhorn provides constant directivity from the Schroeder frequency up, all the way through the audio band. A matched-directivity two-way speaker is the next best thing, having a pattern that collapses gradually up to the crossover point, where it becomes constant. More information is available in the following article:
If you have the right corners, I'd suggest the seven π cornerhorn. Nothing images like those, but again, it requires the right room. That means corners that are unobstructed for at least five or six feet, and it's usually best for them to be placed along a short wall. You need to be able to sit back behind where their forward axes cross, which is 1/2 the distance that the wall is long. In other words, if you are placing the speakers at each end of a 20 foot wall, you have to be able to sit more than 10 feet back from that wall. That's an ideal placement.

If you don't have the right corners, the matched-directivity two-way speaker is the next best thing. Run them with flanking subs for the best results. A matched-directivity two-way with flanking subs is 95% as good as a constant directivity cornerhorn, and has the benefit of greater placement flexibility. But to get this kind of performance, you'll need to set them up as shown in the document referenced above, similarly to the cornerhorns, with 45° tow-in, forward axes crossed in front of the listeners and flanking subs a couple feet away from each main speaker in each axis. I like having the mains on stands, and flanking subs on the floor beside them and behind them. Like this:

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2011/Photos/LSAF_2011_115.jpg

2. All models with the (upgrade) DE250 compression driver reach 18kHz. They're smooth and extended, and offer the dynamics and low distortion that only a compression driver can provide. Other tweeters can hit 20kHz, and sometimes even more. But none can do it with the dynamics of a compression driver. I'd trade the dynamics for that last 2kHz any day.

3. I'd suggest the three π subwoofer for home hifi and home theater. They provide plenty of good, clean, powerful bass and their relatively small size allow you to use several of them in a multisub configuration. Use at least two as flanking subs, and possibly two more at the other side of the room, if space permits. More information on that in the following link:
4. A "regular" receiver is all that's needed to drive any model of π Speakers. Of course, you'll want it to be a good quality unit. No sense getting the best speakers and driving them with a mediocre amp or source.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 4Pis are back and I wrote a BOOK!
Next Topic: Contemplating a change
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 11:36:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout