Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » more ov the Cascode...
more ov the Cascode... [message #9200] Sun, 18 September 2005 12:06 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I tried a triode-MOSFET cascode as the voltage amp section in my prototype Merlin amp. It did quite well. There is a warning which I did not heed when I first assembled and tested the circuit.

Thou shalt protect the small gate-source voltage limit with a Zener clamp!!!

I installed 18V/500 mW Zener clamps on the good channel, and installed the same when I rebuilt the other channel this morning.

The cascode turns the amplifier triode into something with horizontal plate lines at the Ec2 voltage. Take the triode plate curves, draw a vertical line where the upper gate voltage is set, and at the grid line intersection with this vertical, draw horizontal lines out to the maximum Drain-Source voltage. It is a whole lot easier than accounting for the curve of a triode's plate characteristics when drawing the composite cascode curves.

It also leaves a maximum fraction of high Z operating window. It approaches B+ - Ec2, instead of B+ - 2*Ec2 for equal triode sections on a more traditional cascode.
cheeers,
Douglas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Malaysian made OTL
Next Topic: Any experiences with Manley Mahi PPP EL84 amps? (nt)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:48:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio