Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pete's Home Theater Build
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #77173 is a reply to message #77172] Thu, 11 July 2013 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think rear surrounds sound more natural with wide patterns too, at least for movies.

Multi-channel music is a little different, but frankly every music disk I've heard with both multi-channel and stereo mixes sounded better in stereo mode.

I do think there may come a time when more attention is paid to the multi-channel music mixes, and when that time comes, more directional speakers might be better. But that's only a suspicion, just based on the fact that one could produce material that essentially recorded every channel like the mains. It's mostly a matter of content. The surround channels could potentially capture the room acoustics of the source material, if recorded and mixed well.

But right now - as surrounds - I think a wider pattern sounds better. The content of those channels is more suitable for sources with wider patterns. And I do think that will always be the case with movies, because the focus is always forward, towards the screen. The side and rear surrounds are just ambience and occasional effects. Now that I think about it, this is largely true for music content too, because all you would really expect to get in the rear channels is the room acoustics and the audience.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message