Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Me Want Valve Amp. 8^)
Re:Me Too! [message #8990 is a reply to message #8989] Sun, 29 May 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
By taking the equity out of Ella I'm about (Friday) to pull the trigger on a very (for me) expensive kit.
The really wonderful dilemma you face is that any of the choices will make you a "proud papa" and yield a lot of listening pleasure.
That's knowledge re-inforced for me by listening to the Norh SE-9.
Even the most humble circuits do some things well. Ansd even the best have shortcomings.
Ella is a great design that is excellent ouit of the box. With the mods I did it was just great. It did some things, dynamics and low-distortion at high levels, better than most. But you don't "hear ino the music" the way you do with SET's. Some SET's. The Paramour turns your head only now and then. The Norh all the time but eventually you realise there is a problem with the transition from mids to highs even ay low levels. And the bass; full and weighty are the EL-34's in push-pull but as an SET kinda overblown.
That's what modifications are about: raising the quality of strengths and eliminating weaknesses. Genetic engineering.
I'm going to guess here based on familiarity with the 2A3 as well as actually hearing the EL-34 in P=P and SET side by side. The 2A3 Joplin should,.....should, sound best of the group you name. On the Magnequest Forum there's also a "Seth" P-P 2A3 which you can build in nearly kit form. I'm not sure of the price, close to $800 I think.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: November 2005 Vacuum Tube Valley Southern California Audio Festival
Next Topic: Power Supply suggestions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 27 17:34:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout