Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Air Dialectric caps
Re: Do whatever you want. [message #8961 is a reply to message #8959] Sun, 15 May 2005 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
muman is currently offline  muman
Chancellor
Not much more to say, IMO. Variable caps were made for radio tuners, and worked with relatively low voltage, high frequency signals. They are not used anymore --- good radios use digital tuners instead. They do have all the other capacitor types though, and they don't drift.

The air between plates of tuner capacitors will become ozone and arcing may occur unless voltage remains low. Dust and other particulates can (will) get in between the plates and collect on them. These caps were never meant for audio. It takes a leap of faith to say they will do anything good for audio, and a lot of gumption to say they have a neutral sonic signature. I guess that is one man's opinion, but I don't see any references to support it. No legititmate studies have been done, no manufacturers have come forth with a premium audio capacitor using air as a dielectric.

I could see a premium cap made with a vacuum dielectric. That might be good. I'm skeptical that scavenging old radio tuners is good for audio circuits though. On the other hand, there has been universal acceptance of other types of caps for audio such as polys, papers, etc.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Tono Preamp
Next Topic: so then, how'd the Audio Fest go?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:13:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio