Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Tono Preamp
Re: Absolute Polarity (Phase) [message #8960 is a reply to message #8958] Sun, 15 May 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Yah; in the hippie days, a lot of space rock was intentionally mixed with one stereo channel reversed in polarity to give an acidy sound.  At least this you can deal with, if you want to go to the trouble.  The problem is multitracked recordings where the individual tracks can be in both polarities, so the stereo final product is irredeemably mixed up.

The thing is, in these huge mixing boards, the signal may go through ten or twenty op-amps, which can invert or not, and I don't know if there's any standard for this in the construction of the boards, so the engineer is sort of stuck; how's he to know?  It might only be the little purist recordist who uses practically no electronics (and those made by him) between the mike and the tape who can control this.

I think it makes a difference, which is why I mention it.  It seems to show up most in transients, like drum whacks, which sound more natural if they're in correct absolute polarity.

Poinz

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message