Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Tono Preamp
Re: More info, please. [message #8929 is a reply to message #8928] Sat, 30 April 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mark Williams is currently offline  Mark Williams
Baron
Hey Poinz,

I found out some more about this unit since my last post.

First, it's available in the U.S. from Vacuum Tube Valley for around $350. I think this was originally a kit sort of affair from the guys on the Wired State forum, based in the Phillipines. No kits now I'm thinking. I got surprisingly little information from the Wired State forum.

A fellow from VT Valley wrote me and it seems like the thing is very nicely wired inside: Black Gates, high quality resistors, all that. This USA version is of course 110V compatible.

The problem for me was there are only 2 inputs. Since I run a tuner, phono, and a CD...it was not feasible for me.

Currently the guys at Wired State have what looks like a Tono 300B project going on. Worth checking out. Looks nice, but I'll stick with my 2A3 based amps.

I do have a photo of the Tono Preamp somewhere and if you're really, really interested I could send it to you offline.

I'm shopping around a bit for preamps -- or might be content if I could just get my Foreplay 2 a little more quiet. Then I could forget about something new.

Others under consideration are the Foreplay 3 and Hagerman's (hagtech.com) "Clarinet". Both look pretty nice and are supposed to be quiet.

Mark

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message