Home » Audio » Speaker » What can you do when they get wet?
Re: What can you do when they get wet? [message #67859 is a reply to message #67069] Wed, 25 May 2011 22:25 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think I understand, there's an audiophile market for replacement parts and they were hoarded or priced to be a slow but profitable sale because of the high price tag of the speaker. My speakers are known to be available and cheap with little effort and money to get them. I've seen the exact model for sale four times in a year and I don't really look around on CL often. They were speakers from a 3K all-inclusive package around 1990 and easily the most expensive part.

Something tells me the bottom of the barrel price is based on the wide availability of both the speakers and plentiful stocks of replacements. It just turns out no one wants orphan parts, even though there is zero difference. Casual consumers with a little bit of cash that wanted the big stereo of their dreams from the 70's end up buying these things anyway and they don't replace drivers. Broken stuff tends to never work again. I guess someone at some point thought eventually people were going to want them so there's plenty left cheap. 140 is not bad, but 75 bucks from someone that is tired of seeing them in the garage the last decade for another pair is even better.

I never will understand that whole thing. They have outperformed million dollar systems at 2000 seat venues IMO based on bumper music before a show that was the same as something I had. I've heard a few sets of classic beloved speakers myself and think it's as good or better.

I didn't know decent speaker drivers were so expensive as replacement parts. There's so much design that goes into a driver that it would be heartbreaking to fundamentally change the way your speakers work, so there is always an advantage to re-coning. I had no idea. I thought you know, they make a model for a few years and sell the excess stock to wholesalers and make few thousand extra units to get one last payday out of the design.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Best Brand
Next Topic: Speaker Screens
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 03:50:08 CDT 2024