Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, which speaker for PA tops?
Upgrades [message #66779 is a reply to message #66778] Sun, 27 March 2011 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Upgrades are worth their extra cost. I would upgrade in the following order, as I think these bring the greatest improvements in this order:

1. Woofer
2. Compression driver
3. Coils
4. Capacitors
5. Resistors

The upgraded woofer make a big difference, especially in midbass and midrange quality. I mean, the Omega 15 sounds nice but it just can't be compared to the JBL 2226. I think the biggest reason for this is the flux stabilization ring in the JBL woofer. It makes the motor more linear, reducing distortion and improving clarity. It also makes the speaker less fatiguing to listen to for extended periods or at high volume levels or both.

The tweeter is next. The DE250 is noticably smoother than the PSD2002, sounding more "mellow" but at the same time still being as crisp, even more so. The stock tweeter sounds good, and I wouldn't call it harsh by any means. Some titanium drivers are, but the stock one isn't. But still, the upgraded driver is more smooth, and it's worth upgrading, in my opinion.

The stock crossover is very good, and I think crossover upgrades are mostly for bragging rights. One exception is the coils, with the larger ones having less internal resistance, which improves damping. They aren't necessary by any means, but the low cost of the upgraded coils make that a worthwhile upgrade. The resistors don't cost much either, so some people like to upgrade them as well. The capacitor upgrades are pricey, and to my ears don't buy much. But if you want the very best, the capacitors can be upgraded too.

Lastly but certainly not least, I would suggest running multisubs, especially if you're running low power SET amps. The mains are really great for what they do best, but as with all high-efficiency mains, they don't reach down into subwoofer territory. When you push them with a lot of power, the midbass is so strong that you can sometimes feel like there's no need for subs. But really, they aren't hitting the deepest notes. And especially with low power, I think subs make a big difference. Besides, running a couple subs in addition to the mains help smooth room modes, probably an even more important feature than the increased extension. So if you haven't been using subs thus far, do yourself a favor and give it a try.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 4pi horn position
Next Topic: Driver selections
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:50:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations