Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Flush-Mounting Tips Please : ) (Flush mounting Horn and Mid-Woofer)
Flush-Mounting Tips Please : ) [message #66680] Wed, 16 March 2011 10:06 Go to previous message
Muzikal-JRNE is currently offline  Muzikal-JRNE
Esquire
I am open to any tips on how to flush mount the horn and woofer for my 3pi speaker build.

I am planning on adding a 5/8" layer of MDF to the outside face of the front baffle. This will allow me to cut out a hole for the outer diameter of the (TD12S) woofer, which will make it now flush mounted. The outer dimension of the TD12S is 12.5". What size hole diameter should I cut? 12-1/2" 12-9/16" 12-5/8"?

I am not sure yet on how I am going to cut the recess for the horn. I believe the H290 horn flange is 3/8" deep. I don't know if I should try to route a 3/8" recess, or to just cut out the entire 5/8" and use a few layers of speaker gasket tape to flush the horn back out. I have never tried to make straight interior cuts with a router, but I am up to give it a try. Radius-ed corners? Will I need to make some kind of Jig? Remove 1/4" depth per pass?

BTW...I have a plunge router (w/ "Large" Jasper Circle Jig ), jig saw and table saw.

Cheers, Joe

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: My 4pi Build Report
Next Topic: subwoofers to augment my mains (4pis)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 05:04:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio