Home » Audio » Speaker » When to Recap?
When to Recap? [message #66657] Mon, 14 March 2011 19:10 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As some of the regulars may be aware of, I have a 20 year old pair of loudspeakers.

After doing some reading and discovering my past belief that capacitors last "for life" is somewhat incorrect and that they lose 50% of their ability. (I think the wiki page is referring to it's tolerance) I have started to worry that it is time to recap the crossover network.

I have a couple questions if anyone knows the answers:

1. Do I have to recap speaker crossovers every decade or so or on a timeframe?

2. Is the "condition" of the capacitor relevant to a speaker crossover and the performance of the speaker?

3. Is the cap's performance dependent upon the amount of current going through it? I ask because I have 240watt speakers and an amp that is operating at no more than 25watts. It would hardly be worth it if I am not driving the speakers anywhere close to their limits if that is the only time it would matter.

I know a lot of you know a lot about crossovers. I don't know much more than how they work. Personally I am only concerned with the caps operating as intended and am not really interested in upgrading to better quality components. I may upgrade to a "precision cap" if such thing exists, but I was advised by my college prof. not to buy the hype regarding gold caps and that sort of thing.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Speakers Embedded in Ceiling
Next Topic: Buying speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 17:52:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects