Home » Audio » Source » The Death of the Cassette Tape
Re: The Death of the Cassette Tape [message #66991 is a reply to message #66987] Sun, 10 April 2011 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Clueless wrote on Sun, 10 April 2011 19:35
I still have a whole bunch of cassette tapes, but mainly for nostalgic reasons. Every time I do Spring cleaning, I get rid of a couple. One day I will have to let them all go. There is no way they will make a comeback. Their deterioration is like a voyage with no return.

I've not found records to be any better. Accidentally drop the needle or anything else at all during the playback will destroy it. It's gonna happen. Compared to Vinyl, Cassettes are workhorses that offer every ounce of analogue and none of the hassle. They don't have that beloved specific tracking noise and commercial tapes were notoriously awful. The bottom line is a high quality high bias tape straight from the mixing board is very very good. I only had one tape ever break on me and it's probably the machines fault or the fact I didn't know to wind up the tapes if they get a little too loose. I have tapes that are 20 years old that still work. They could make a return if someone can make them small and exceedingly high quality. Like if they could support the analog equivalent of 256-bits per sample of resolution (digital is at 24bits at best, 32 being an internal rate) and and could support every frequency in the audio spectrum flat. Make them play without any degradation after 5000 plays and it you'd only have to hear one before you ran out and replaced everything again. Either way, music is going to be hyper-realistic in the near future.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: MP3 Quality -- Anything Better?
Next Topic: Collecting Vinyl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 02:47:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout