Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Grounded Grid Preamp Breadboarded
Interstage (or line output) transformers. [message #8673 is a reply to message #8668] Tue, 11 January 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Yes, they're out there, but there seem to be two flavors:

Little peanut cheapos that sound like sh, ah, not so good.

Great bloody whacking things the size and expense of output transformers.

TC, my first try in the circuit above was the Hammond 124B.  I really wanted to like it, but it sounds just like the 10K outputs I tried in the 6V6 amp; dry, opaque.  I even tried Amveco power toroids (115+115 : 44), which Bench liked, but they were rolled off too much on both ends, and sort of wiry sounding. The Lundahls and Sowters and Tangos are all these ten watt monsters that cost $100-200 and won't even fit in the chassis.  It seems impossible to get the quality without the huge capacity.  Don't know why they feel that a component that's transforming a few milliwatts has to be rated at ten watts; maybe a traditional use for them is driving big transmitter tubes like 845's in A2.

I'm still looking, and also talking to some OEM winders who may be willing to wind to spec, but so far no joy.  I'm not giving up because I have a long affectionate history with the singly-driven diff-amp (thus my original Holy Toledo!). The high PSRR of diff amps makes them a natural for low level signal use; don't have to use huge music-sucking caps in the power supply final stage.

Poinz

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: tube sub info
Next Topic: anybody have an Altec/Peerless TX catalog?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 13:43:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio