Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Grounded Grid Preamp Breadboarded
Holy Toledo! [message #8667 is a reply to message #8665] Mon, 10 January 2005 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Now I dig yo jive.  It is to laugh; this is a circuit that I have used and promoted for years!  I learned to call it the singly-driven diff-amp; schem likee so:

I'm a push-pull animal, and this is my fave phase splitter (I take output off both plates) since it has gain, and its balance may be adjusted by the values of the two plate resistors.  It occurs to me that if output is to be taken from the grounded grid side only, perhaps the load (plate) resistor on the driven (by signal) side, or the actual common cathode (this is another name for the plate-loaded amp) side may be omitted.

This is another use for this circuit that I had not perceived. I have used it as a preamp as shown here:

This uses transformer output to reduce the gain and Zout, rather than negative feedback, which I have found to be a technically attractive but sonically dangerous tactic.  The problem with this circuit is the output transformer, which is unobtanium.

Okay, now I'm seeing what is happening here. Thank you for your very clear explanation of this circuit.

Yer Obeediyunt Servunt,

Poinz

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: tube sub info
Next Topic: anybody have an Altec/Peerless TX catalog?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 15:22:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio