Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Grounded Grid Preamp Breadboarded
Re: Grounded Grid Preamp Breadboarded [message #8662 is a reply to message #8657] Sun, 09 January 2005 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
John, there were a few reasons why I selected this design:

It's different from most preamp designs out there. I've heard and/or built preamps in the common cathod, mu follower and SRPP topographies and was interested in hearing how this one would be different.

It's simple with relatively few part counts. Three tubes in total and six resistors per channel in the amp stage. I think I've also mentioned the PS which uses low cost parts such as 120V transformers and low value filter caps.

It's been reviewed very well. Bruce has a very loyal following on his own message board and most everyone who's build or heard it have very positive things to say about it.

But the most important reason why I selected this preamp was its low gain of only 12dB (4x). Prior to building this amp, I was toying with the idea of building an unity gain buffer (12SN7 cathode follower)as a preamp. With most power amps having an input sensitivity of less than 500mV, it doesn't make sense to put a high gain stage between source and amp. The gain provided by this preamp lets me listen pass the 12 o'clock position, and even into the 3 or 4 o'clock with low sensitivity speakers.

BTW, I'm still toying with the idea of the unity gain buffer.

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: tube sub info
Next Topic: anybody have an Altec/Peerless TX catalog?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 23:10:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio