Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tweeter Change (again !)
Tweeter Change (again !) [message #66336] Sat, 26 February 2011 15:20 Go to previous message
RDLewis is currently offline  RDLewis
Chancellor
Hello Wayne

For some time I have been contemplating your Pi2 Towers as a cost effective upgrade for my present speakers. I like the simplicity and efficiency (and price), and it bodes well that you have said that its in regular use in a bedroom system.

Your CD designs and the Philosophy behind them seems right to me but they are out of my price range at the moment, having moved home recently

A tweeter that has intrigued me is the BG Neo3W planar unit. It seems to have a strong following, recently I have seen it being used in a number of new designs. John Kreskovsky uses them on his new Neo system, and on a design on he Hawthorne site. It does seem to have some appealing qualities.

Sensitivity is about the same as the Vifa, but the impedance is essentually flat and resistive through out its range. Being 4 ohms, I could retain the 10 mF cap, ( no need for the shunt resistor ).

BG say it can be used with 1st order networks as long as it is above 3Khz which should be fine on the Pi2 (and 1). But its the final sentence on the Parts Express site on the Neo3W that caught my attention " When highest efficiency or tightly controlled directivity are the goals, the standard version is stll the unit of choice"

Have you tried these drivers I was wondering whether they would provide a half way point between a dome and a 90x40 horn ???

Your views would be greatly appreciated

Roy

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message