Home » Audio » Source » Blu-Ray vs DVD
Re: Blu-Ray vs DVD [message #65968 is a reply to message #65963] Thu, 03 February 2011 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Seems to me we have two discussions here, one about the differences between two digital formats (DVD and Blu-Ray) and another about the differences between analog and digital (tape or disk). Those are two very different things.

In a way, there's three discussions, with the side-bar being whether vinyl should be preferred over a master tape. But that one kind of answers itself, if you think about it. Of course the master is better, since the vinyl was pressed from it. It's a generation thing, with the vinyl being a copy. Better to have the first recording than a second or third copy, no matter how good those copies are.

For more discusson about analog verses digital, let's make a new thread:
Regarding the Blu-Ray vs DVD discussion, to me, Blu-Ray is just plain better than DVD in just about every way. The only thing that isn't better is the price, and even that is becoming less an issue. The sound and picture of Blu-Ray is just so much better, and the prices have fallen to the point there isn't much difference anymore.

I really think the discussion is rapidly becoming moot. Everyone is producing Blu-Ray disks and players at a price point that makes DVD obsolete. If you have old DVD players that can't play Blu-Ray, that's an inconvenience but good Blu-Ray players are so affordable now that it probably makes sense to upgrade.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Vinyl Review
Next Topic: Finding prices on collector albums?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 07:28:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio