Home » Audio » Speaker » Magnepan 1.7 Crossover
Re: Magnepan 1.7 Crossover [message #65486 is a reply to message #65484] Fri, 31 December 2010 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I guess they are trying to split the same signal that would normally go to the tweeter into two different tweeters. That doesn't sound like the worst idea ever, but I think these should be 4-way speakers. I don't see the advantage of both tweeters getting the same signal, especially since crossover networks work to roll off frequencies instead of using a hard filter.

That's my best guess. Maybe the old design didn't sound bright enough? Or it was poorly reproducing air frequencies that are extremely important.

I recently upgraded a lot of MP3's that were missing a lot of HF information and they sound like two different songs. The timbre is just not accurate on the lesser encodings. My suspicion regarding "doesn't sound right" seems like they are emphasizing these a bit too much and it is exagerrating how much space and sizzle is around the instruments. Too much treble boosting or too many things introducing high order distortion is very unnerving and unmusical too.

Edit: I read the bit about the ST sending a high order signal to the other drivers. Why would they do that? That kind of thing should be done after the waves leave the speaker and enter your ears.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Subwoofers
Next Topic: Can you Patch the Hole in a Speaker?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 19:13:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio