Home » Audio » Source » Windows XP warning
Re: Windows XP warning [message #65525 is a reply to message #65523] Mon, 03 January 2011 10:04 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
audioaudio90 wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 08:41
That was interesting. I have 7, not XP, so the steps were a bit different but I disabled "SRS enhancements" and now everything sounds more present and less tinny than it had.

I haven't used Win7 since the release candidate beta was out, but If you can find the speaker settings, set them to "none" or "no speakers" if applicable. I never liked SRS myself.

I've noticed watching the oscilloscope from one of the DSPs that the sounds are much more lively. I think direct sound is adding compression to the signals too. Now, the volume compresses instead of getting louder at a high SPL, like it is supposed to.

I'm really shocked that for some reason these settings seemed to be ruining the signal chain when they were critical in the past.

The only side effect is that certain, but few, albums from the 80's sourced from second generation vinyl masters put on a CD sound a little "telephoney." However that is the way they were meant to sound, so it is hardly a "problem"

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: SONY cds...WARNING
Next Topic: Buying Vinyl Records
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 11:44:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio