Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » What Is The Definition Of A Good Amplifier? (a discussion about what makes a good amplifier)
Re: What Is The Definition Of A Good Amplifier? [message #65404 is a reply to message #65396] Thu, 23 December 2010 16:52 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Of course there are other amp brands out there, but I like to go back to what the players used on the classics. 9 times out of ten either the Marshall or Mesa SOUND gets the job done. There are some great companies making good stuff. I like to keep it simple. Marshall for Hard Rock, Mesa's for metal. Only a fool would take my word for it on buying an amp without trying everything out first. So that's a start. I am not a big fan of modeling amps at all.

I'm also working under the assumption that the vocalist is the only one using the PA system. I never liked using the PA when there is enough wattage in the amps. It's the two extremes for me personally, either miked up with low wattage or high wattage and no mics.

If you are playing to a big enough room where a classic stack is too uni-directional then I think the PA is a good option, which is why a lot of amps now are being made to cut their wattage down to recording levels.

My main point is to get something good that you want to last forever. To Shane's point. I too have heard small combos kick the full stack's ass in SPL... until you are 30 feets away from the "stage" that is. His experience may be totally different.

Simply put. Figure out what wattage the rest of the band is working with and go from there. The PA and Bass should be double what the guitars are putting out, unless you can sing at levels that threaten to break the microphone's voice coil. Which is, If you can hear yourself with no electronics with a full blast amp 5 feet away.

That is another beast altogether. Some singers need 500 watts, some need 100 watts. Get your equipment to deafening levels and see if you can hear yourself sing.

You didn't ask for it, and there is no way for me to know what technique you are going for, but you should be able to sing to very very loud music (not necessarily a live band) without any sort of amplification. Proper singing technique sort of forces far more volume than you'd think you'd possess. You'll know it when you hear it.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Houston Audio Society Flea Market
Next Topic: Comparison with Solid State Amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 01:04:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects