Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » What Is The Definition Of A Good Amplifier? (a discussion about what makes a good amplifier)
Re: What Is The Definition Of A Good Amplifier? [message #65402 is a reply to message #65396] Thu, 23 December 2010 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You are probably not going to get any amp that is good for guitars and vocals. Bass amps can easily double as voice amps due to their high excursion limits and high wattage capabilities, however.

You might want to consider getting a PA speaker with an amp/input section built in and mic up a 10watt guitar amp. Throw in some pedals for tone shaping and you should have everything you need there.

I can't ever seem to duplicate the ear-splitting levels or saturation that occurs with a proper half/full stack that tends to fill the room.

The major reason I probably have never taken guitar as seriously as I could is because of the prohibitive costs associated with the amps. A quality Mesa Boogie or Marshall head is about 1200 used, maybe you can get it a little cheaper.

My initial suggestion is the cheap way, but if you want it done right, get ready to bust out 2 grand and get it over with. There are cheaper solutions, but you probably need the wattage for playing out anywhere. Drums are loud and there is no way around having to match the volume.

50 watts for nu-metal levels of distortion and overdrive, 150 watts for metal and hard rock, 500 watts for blues or anything else semi-clean.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Houston Audio Society Flea Market
Next Topic: Comparison with Solid State Amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 17:51:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects