Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Soffit (Flush Mount) Reference Speakers (Studio Control Room (Mid-field) Monitors for Full Range Reference)
Soffit (Flush Mount) Reference Speakers [message #65288] Wed, 15 December 2010 16:54 Go to previous message
epstudio is currently offline  epstudio
Esquire
Hello everyone,

The guys over at Hawthorne Audio sent me here with nothing but great things to say so hopefully some of this will make sense.
I am in the process of designing my new studio control room and will be going with a Soffit (flush) mounted approach for my (mid-field) Full Range reference speakers. I have read tons of info about how to do this right and the guys at John Sayers Studio Design Forum have been great helping me out, but I was leaning more towards a custom Passive Full Range Monitor approach as opposed to the standard Brand Name Active Refernece Monitor (Adam, Genelec, Focus etc..) for a few different reasons...

Specifically, my room considerations in regards to size of drivers/enclosure, accuracy of frequency reproduction of components, heat/venting issues for enclosed power amps SIMPLICITY of speaker design (in terms of electronics)for purity of sound etc...

So I guess my questions for you are:
Do you offer your speakers as components? (drivers & x-overs)
Which combo would you recommend for my Control Room?(See attached Pics but disregard the drivers in the 2nd one they are a coax design hence no visible tweeter/horn)
Would your components work without your enclosure (using the soffit effectively as the enclosure) and have you had anybody use this approach with your speakers before? For this type of application? With good/bad results?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts you have on this and will provide much more info upon request, as my needs are critical listening in the mixing/mastering stage of recording music my attention to detail is exhaustive and my control room design will be acoustically balanced in every aspect possible (given it's limitations of being an enclosed space), thus the marriage between the speaker and the room will be done in such a way as to essentially remove the room from the equation allowing the speaker to reproduce it's content faithfully and provide me with the most accurate respresentation of my source material possible Very Happy

Well, sorry for the long-winded post but rather than have you guys wondering what my intentions/needs are I figured I'd try to cover lots of ground in this first one Razz .

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Lee Billwiller
EP Studios

index.php?t=getfile&id=291&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=292&private=0

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message